A new paradigm in material synthesis is emerging, in which living cells are used as active components in man-made materials to augment non-living matter with life-like capabilities. Self-ventilating sportswear, bio-syncretic robots, self-renewing bioremediation devices, biosensing tattoos, personalized drug delivery systems or self-healing concrete walls are just a few examples.
This conference will provide an open forum for sharing recent advances and discussing current challenges and potential of Living Materials among experts and newcomers in the field. It will gather leading scientists and industrial partners, and tackle fundamental science and application-oriented approaches. The event will be organized with a max. of 100 participants.
- Compatibilization of living components with non-living matrices
- Processing technologies for fabricating Living Materials
- Programming living materials with synthetic biology tools
- Technical application scenarios for Living Materials
- Special focus session: Living Therapeutic Materials
- Discussion forum: Risks, regulatory issues and future of Living Materials
- Caroline Ajo-Franklin, Rice University, Houston, TX, USA
- Ruth Freitag, University of Bayreuth, Germany
- Neel S. Joshi, Harvard University, MA, USA
- Ben (Keith) Keitz, The University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA
- Marjan de Mey, Ghent University, Belgium
- Anne S. Meyer, University of Rochester, NY, USA
- Karen Polizzi, Imperial College London, UK
- Manuel Salmeron-Sanchez, University of Glasgow, UK
- Wil V. Srubar III, University of Colorado Boulder, CO, USA
- Bao Lian Su, Université de Namur, Belgium
- Wilfried Weber, University of Freiburg, Germany
- Chao Zhong, ShanghaiTech University, China
Prof. Dr. Aránzazu del Campo and Dr. Srikrishnan Sankaran
INM – Leibniz Institute for New Materials, Saarbrücken, Germany
Information on participating / attending:
- Regular Participants: 300.00 €
- Students*: 150.00 €
- Members Leibniz Research Alliance Health Technologies**: 150.00 €
*Students are highly welcome! To prove that you are an undergraduate or Ph.D. student, please forward a scanned copy of your student ID or a letter stating your student status from your university by e-mail to email@example.com
**The Leibniz Research Alliance Health Technologies pays 50 % of the regular participation fee of € 300.00 for its members.
02/12/2020 - 02/14/2020
Assembly hall "Aula" of Saarland University
Scientists and scholars, Students
Biology, Chemistry, Materials sciences, Medicine
Types of events:
Conference / symposium / (annual) conference
Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit
Event is free:
Language of the text:
URL of this event: http://idw-online.de/en/event65081
You can combine search terms with and, or and/or not, e.g. Philo not logy.
You can use brackets to separate combinations from each other, e.g. (Philo not logy) or (Psycho and logy).
Coherent groups of words will be located as complete phrases if you put them into quotation marks, e.g. “Federal Republic of Germany”.
You can also use the advanced search without entering search terms. It will then follow the criteria you have selected (e.g. country or subject area).
If you have not selected any criteria in a given category, the entire category will be searched (e.g. all subject areas or all countries).