• Keri Facer, Professor of Educational and Social Futures at the University of Bristol. She is the author of the recent report “Beyond business as usual: Higher education in the era of climate change“;
• Uwe Schneidewind, Lord Mayor (Oberbürgermeister) of Wuppertal, former president of the Wuppertal Institute, a leading institute for sustainability research and developing transformation, and also former president of the University of Oldenburg.
The discussion will focus on the following questions:
• The future of cities is sustainable and carbon-neutral. Universities play a crucial role in making this happen. But how? What can and should they do in terms of providing talent, insights, ideas, and technologies? How should they educate both current and future generations with regard to climate change?
• At the same time, universities need to become sustainable themselves. Many have already pledged to become carbon zero institutions in the next years. How can this be achieved?
• Facer and Schneidewind both emphasise the huge potential of steering universities towards responding to and even driving efforts to become sustainable in local communities. As Kerry Facer puts it: “Universities and colleges are powerful anchor organisations that can make a significant contribution to the creation of ecological and economic sustainability in local communities.” And Uwe Schneidewind has put forward the idea of organizing research and teaching at universities around transformation processes at work in the city. How would this work? Is it already happening? And what does it mean for universities, cities, and their connection?
We invite you to discuss these and other topics with Keri Facer and Uwe Schneidewind.
Information on participating / attending:
Kostenlose Registrierung: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-I9c-LCbQxuxUdCF-e3d_w
02/23/2021 17:00 - 02/23/2021 18:00
digital, per Zoom
Scientists and scholars, all interested persons
Types of events:
Seminar / workshop / discussion
Event is free:
Language of the text:
URL of this event: http://idw-online.de/en/event67995
You can combine search terms with and, or and/or not, e.g. Philo not logy.
You can use brackets to separate combinations from each other, e.g. (Philo not logy) or (Psycho and logy).
Coherent groups of words will be located as complete phrases if you put them into quotation marks, e.g. “Federal Republic of Germany”.
You can also use the advanced search without entering search terms. It will then follow the criteria you have selected (e.g. country or subject area).
If you have not selected any criteria in a given category, the entire category will be searched (e.g. all subject areas or all countries).