The recent coups d’état in Mali, Guinea and most recently Burkina Faso deserve a reflection on the power dynamics in the respective countries and the broader regional and geopolitical contexts. How has the situation evolved in Mali since May and in Guinea since September 2021, and what are plausible scenarios for Burkina Faso? What are the geopolitical stakes and implications, and how do national and regional populations perceive and react to the military’s take of power? To discuss these and related questions, we would like to invite you to an online roundtable via Zoom where scholars from Burkina Faso, Guinea and Mali will share their insights on the current situation with us.
The discussion will be held in French, with simultaneous interpretation in English.
Roundtable participants :
• Dr. Boniface SOMÉ, Lecturer of Sociology at Université Joseph Ki-Zerbo, Member of ACC Ouagadougou
• Prof. Alpha Amadou Bano BARRY, Professor at the Laboratoire d’analyse socio-anthropologique de Guinee (LASAG), Université Général Lansana Conté Sonfonia-Conakry (UGLC SC)
• Dr. Mohamed AMARA, Sociologist at the Université des Lettres et des Sciences Humaines de Bamako, researcher at the Max Weber Center of the University Lyon 2
Organizers and moderators:
• Dr. Joschka Philipps, University of Bayreuth
• Dr. Maria Ketzmerick, University of Bayreuth
Time: Feb 7, 2022, 17h00-18h30 (CET, Bayreuth)
16h00-17h30 (UTC, Bamako, Conakry, Ouagadougou)
Meeting ID: 624 5836 7817
Information on participating / attending:
The roundtable will be held in French and translated into English.
02/07/2022 17:00 - 02/07/2022 18:30
Journalists, Scientists and scholars
Types of events:
Seminar / workshop / discussion
Exzellenzcluster „Africa Multiple“
Event is free:
Language of the text:
URL of this event: http://idw-online.de/en/event70751
You can combine search terms with and, or and/or not, e.g. Philo not logy.
You can use brackets to separate combinations from each other, e.g. (Philo not logy) or (Psycho and logy).
Coherent groups of words will be located as complete phrases if you put them into quotation marks, e.g. “Federal Republic of Germany”.
You can also use the advanced search without entering search terms. It will then follow the criteria you have selected (e.g. country or subject area).
If you have not selected any criteria in a given category, the entire category will be searched (e.g. all subject areas or all countries).